Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back to Blogging

Well, as you can see, we have our computer up and running again. It is amazing the lengths we will go to to be connected to the world again. I won't go into the details but it involved an early morning walk to buy several adapters and when they didn't work Dean took a taxi to we don't know where to buy a new part for the computer. Everyone is much happier today.

I'm going to go back and fill in some of the details of the last few days, not because I think you all are waiting on pins and needles, but because we want to remember it ourselves. The days are starting to run together for us.

I'll start with Monday. We thought we would be hanging out until Tuesday when we would go get Anna. At 10:00 am we got a call from our facilitator to be ready at 1:30 to leave because there had been an opening to have our Giving and Receiving ceremony. We were very anxious and excited. We met her in the lobby and took the two and a half hour drive to the orphanage. It was a long drive through some very interesting little towns. When we pulled into the gates of the orphanage my heart was pounding. We went into a conferance room and waited and then they brought Anna into the room and gave her to me. We stayed there a little while and then had to go to the government building to have the official ceremony. We signed the papers and the official gave a speech about raising her to be a good U.S. citizen and teaching her about Vietnam and then asked Dean to give a speech. We took pictures with the official and then went back to the orphanage. I was full of mixed emotions to be in the place where Anna lived for the first six months of her life. We got back in the car and made the long drive back to Hanoi. She slept most of the way home.

On Tuesday, I went with our facilitator to apply for Anna's passport and then we had the rest of the day to spend just getting to know her. I already described our adventure to the old quarter and teased about finding a "mall". Well, after I went to pick up the passport on Wednesday we went walking and found a "mall"!! It is an indoor shopping center about five blocks from our hotel with all kinds of stores and a supermarket on the top level. We even found a restaurant where we all enjoyed our meals. It felt so good to feel full!

Today we took care of our computer emergency and then this afternoon we went to the SOS for Anna's medical exam. It went really well, not at all what I had pictured. She was very happy for the whole thing and we really liked our doctor. She thought everything looked good except for Anna's cold so she gave us an antibiotic. Anna weighed 10.6 pounds.

There are alot of couples from all different countries who are staying in our hotel and also adopting. It is very interesting. Yesterday we met a couple from Michigan who adopted a little boy and we had dinner with them tonight. They are leaving tomorrow.

Anna is doing great. She is a very happy baby and I believe she is attaching to all of us. She is definitely tiny. She was left on her back for much of the time in the orphanage so her legs are weak but she has good muscle tone so I am not worried. She does not like to be alone because she slept in a crib with another baby. She won't eat a whole lot at one time but she is doing better already. I feel very confident that she will catch up quickly in any areas she is behind.

We are down to our last and final step before we can come home. We will have our Visa interview at the US embassy and then bring her home! Because of the fourth of July holiday, we won't have that until Tuesday or Wednesday but it looks like we may come home earlier than planned.

We have no appointments until then so we are going to do some cultural things around the city and some shopping. We are getting better at navigating and crossing the streets. You have to think of it as a game.

If you made it to the end of this post and are still awake I hope you enjoy a few pictures!

Here is Dean wearing the carrier we are so glad we have. Thank you Danny and Debbie!

This is our wonderful facilitator. She takes care of everything for us!!
Anna loves to just lay next to Allie and play with her toys.


Anonymous said...

Hey! It sounds like you guys are starting to adjust to your new surroundings. I'm sure you have had some interesting adventures trying to cross their streets. So did Dean feel on the spot when they asked him to give a "speech" at the ceremony? By the way, Anna is just adorable in the pics. :)

Love you guys and miss you!

sumi said...

Oh, I just love the picture of Dean with Anna in her 'pouch'!

I wondered whether Dean was put on the spot to give a speech too, but then I thought he's a pastor, he is probably used to speaking, right?

I am so excited for you, and I can't wait to see Anna. Praying for a speedy wrap-up and a quick and uneventful flight.


Anonymous said...

I read the whole way through..and loved it!!! I was anxious to hear the little things :) you know the kind of things a mom wonders :) if she is a sleeper!! If she was comfy with you right from the start.. what she thinks of her big sister..Thanks for keeping us all informed..and enjoy your stay!!

Sheree said...

Hey guys,
You are wrong about it I AM sitting on pins and needles here, it is like a have to do this now and hope that you have had time to write. Makes my day reading about your adventures. Glad to hear MALL...Have you been in touch with Gene and Carol? They are in North Carolina and will be home to be the missionary speakers at NEO Campmeeting this month.. Cant wait to see them again..
Love you guys,

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back online,I love reading your adventures. Anna looks like she knows is finally going home! Enjoy the time there.
Love you all and can't wait to meet in her in August.

Anonymous said...

So the real question is.....who holds her the most....and who changes the most diapers? (I'm sure the answer is Allie for at least the 2nd question.) =)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you guys back online. And glad your digital camera is working well. We enjoy the pictures. Hopefully the food you had didnt cause any problem later on...I have been there and done that on a few occassions in other countries. There is no place like home, right? Hope you get to make an early trip back!

Unknown said...

Hey Olson Family!

Debbie Paxton and Kelley here! I (Kelley) am typing. Stacey and I are here at Momma's and just finished reading your newest news - ha, ha! We cannot express exactly how overjoyed we are for y'all. Of course we miss y'all bunches and can't wait for y'all to come on home and bring those beautiful girls with you. Enjoy every moment you have and record it in everyway possible b/c Anna is going to want to reminisce when she's older - kids love doing that don't they! We are praying ceaselessly and are excited to meet your newest family member face to very cute face! Love y'all!

Kelley, Debbie Paxton, Bill & Stacey

Erika said...

It has been so fun reading through your adventures! We're heading out to Boston tomorrow so we'll be away from the computer for a little while. But, just know that you all are in our hearts and in our prayers - and will continue to be.
We love you!

Aunt Debbie said...

Good to get caught up on things. Keep the pictures coming. Glad the check up went well sure the skin will get better with a little "Florida Sunshine". Love & Miss Ya.